Peggy Wilson was actually Margaret Dorothy Wilson, the daughter of Colonel Richard Wilson who sadly died in 1912 at a very young age.
The colonel was at the time the owner of the Kildwick estate. Many generations of the Wilson family resided at Eshton Hall at Gargrave.
In 1928, in memory of his daughter and to help benefit the children of Kildwick Primary School and the village, the playing field land was donated and a charity set up to ensure the playing field was maintained for future generations.
A memorial to ‘Peggy’ can be found in the churchyard of Gargrave Church.